Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Scholarship Recipient – Robert Wayne Brown

Higher education is important to me for so many reasons. First, I am a first generation college student and an only adopted child so I cannot stress what a privilege I feel it is for me to be here at USU. Second, I come from a background where the money or the encouragement to go to college was not there for me. I have a great passion for education and through that education the idea of being able to make the world a better place.

In 2008, I found myself unemployed and struggling to make ends meet. Wanting to add some stability and better possibilities for my future, I applied for the Vocational Rehabilitation program for assistance attending college. I want to get a degree in Social Work and help others like me to be able to take their place as an important and productive member of society. It would mean so much to me to be able to earn an education that would allow me to help other recovering addicts and victims of sexual abuse and rape to know that anything is possible. No matter what mental disorders and trauma I may deal with, I want to be able to be an example of higher education being not only possible but achievable.

The people at Student Support Services have provided me with excellent information and help focusing my direction and energy. Also, by allowing me access to thing like early registration and classes taught specifically through SSS, I feel my chances of success have greatly increased; this is tremendously important to me as a non-traditional student trying to make a major change in my life. I have relied on and sought the help and advice from SSS on an almost constant basis which helps me to feel not so alone or detached in my endeavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment